Thursday, September 08, 2005

Major Owie!

It is the first day on a new lease on life. But it sure is a major owie! I have yet to see the incision. Mainly because I am sill doubled over in pain. The morphine pump has been a good friend in these hours.

Yesterday started with an early drive to Memorial Hermann. Randy Targhetta drove Shelley and me to the hospital at 5:00 am. Jerry and his mom and dad were in the waiting room when we arrived around 6:00 am. I had never met Mr. and Mrs. Wooley. I expressed to them how grateful I was for what Jerry had offered to do.

We signed in and around 6:30, we were taken to the pre-op area where we were issued our lovely hospital gowns, started IVs and took one last round of blood tests. Jerry’s room was across from mine and we could watch each other as the nurses began to prep us.

There was a while to wait, so Shelley, Randy and I went across the hall to sit with Jerry and his parents. While we were there, I reminded him that if there were any second thoughts, there would be no hard feelings and now is the time to voice them! Jerry assured me there were no second thoughts.

The anesthesiologist showed up to explain what was about to happen next. Then he gave Jerry a shot, me a pill and the surgeries were about to start. Around 7:30 am Jerry was rolled off to the operating room to begin the first surgery.

My parents and boys arrived around 8:00 am. At 9:30 the anesthesiologists came to report that Jerry’s surgery was underway and it was time for me to have a little shot.

That was the last coherent thought I remember until waking up to have a renal scan. The renal scan showed that the kidney was working very well. My initial lab work shows an incredible improvement. The uremic taste that has haunted me for the past year is gone.

Last night was a short night of nurses picking and probing. It continued on today. I did not know pain until I sneezed today.

Jerry was up and walking. I hope to do so tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home