Monday, October 17, 2005

Surgery, Again

The Astros need to win tonight. I don’t think I will be up to watching anything tomorrow or the rest of the week. I got the call and instead of waiting around for an OR (operating room), there is one scheduled in the morning for the removal of the dialysis catheters. It is back to the hospital tomorrow morning. They called to give me directions and information where to park. I was fluent in what they were talking about, unfortunately.

I look forward to having these tubes out of my chest. If there is a place called “normal” anymore, without them will get me a little closer to that location. It is easy to complain about them, but in reality, these things saved my life. I have to keep that in mind. In addition, these things helped to spare my arm. Because they worked well (and because there were potential donors), I did not have to get a fistula. Saving the extremities is important with this disease. I have thought about asking to see the catheters. I was so sick when they were put in, I did not think to ask about what they looked like. Moreover, I was so sick, I did not think to ask how they were going to be inserted and removed! (But if you are curious, here is a video. Warning: it is graphic.)

In addition to removing the catheters in my chest, they are going to do another surgery, an ureteroscopy, to remove a stent in the new kidney’s ureter. The initial procedure was scheduled to be outpatient, as an office visit. (That will never be my preference.) I have lobbied hard that this be a two-fer. As long as I am going to be out, let’s do both. Fortunately, good sense prevailed and both surgeries will be done on the same day – with anesthesia!

Later in the week, it will be back to the hospital for more testing. Compared to surgery, the blood draws are a piece of cake. I never thought I’d say something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home